Top 10 Plugins
- Google Analytics for WordPress, put together by a dude called Yoast. It’s like Toast but tastes better on your blog. It has some rad advanced functions such as being able to track by Author, Category or anything that fits your site really. First plugin you should install.
- All in One SEO Pack, there are heaps of plugins out there for SEO. But this one allows you to define your own Meta for static pages which you really should do, plus your blog posts if you want to go that far. Other plugins will generate the Meta from your content, but I think its better to have control over this. Not by the Yoast dude, but he does a good one too, that would be my second pick.
- Facebook Comments for WordPress, Allows your readers to comment on your posts without providing their name, email etc. If they are logged into Facebook they can start writing, it also goes viral… Showing up on Facebook that they commented on your rad words of wisdom. No brainer in this world where Facebook owns everything…
- SEO Friendly Images, Does what you can’t be bothered doing. Making all your images SEO friendly. Turn it on, set the settings let it do its magic, thats all you need to know really.
- Twitter Facebook Social Share, you need social buttons on your site in some form or another, this is the one I use. But I also use different ones depending on the site design and how it fits in.
- W3 Total Cache, no one likes a slow website these days. Install and it will help with load times on your pages.
- WP to Twitter, because I’m lazy and don’t really update my twitter feed often enough. Every time I post here it will end up as a little tweet, tweet…
- Yet Another Related Posts Plugin, just as the name suggests. This plugin will display related posts at the bottom of your post as a little teaser to entice readers to read more.
- Simple Image Widget, allows you to put an image in any widget space defined in your WordPress theme. Think of the possibilities, definitely a necessity.
- 10, 10? Whats 10. You tell me in the comments, whats the plugin that I’ve left off this list?
Other Useful Plugins
- Google Sitemap Generator: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/google-sitemap-generator/
Even More Useful Plugins http://bestpluginsforwp.com/
Themes can be hit and miss, you really get what you pay for. Unless you find a rad theme designer that has heaps of quality premium themes and they are giving away one simple theme for free, you really want to stay away from free themes. So many have dodgy code, or even hidden links to suspect sites. Below are some of the sites I have found good themes on in the past.
But if you need help installing anything, modifying themes or building a site from scratch leave a comment below. Or contact me, here…